Mindfill

A landfill is a dumping ground for random objects and things. I figure that this blog is going to serve as a dumping ground for my random thoughts - therefore, it's a mindfill.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Covered, smothered, and chopped

Despite the title, this post has nothing to do with Waffle House hashbrowns. Although, they do sound pretty good right about now. Actually, this has to do with something that happened yesterday that bothered me a little. I was in a bookstore and, over the store's speakers, I heard a techno-dance-remix cover of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer." The original song is a radio classic. It was covered a couple of years ago by the Ataris. While their version wasn't nearly as strong as the original, it wasn't bad. But now, we have a techno-dance-remix version. Where does this end? Shouldn't there be a statute of limitiations on the number of times a song can be covered in a certain period of time?

Don't get me wrong, not all covers are bad. In fact, I've heard several covers that are better than the originals. For instance, if you've never heard the late, great Johnny Cash's cover of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt", I advise that you do so as soon as possible. The cover blows the original version out of the water. But this is the exception rather than the rule. It doesn't mean that the music industry should stop churning out covers, just that they should use more discretion in choosing which ones they do.

I've read several times that "Yesterday" by the Beatles is the most covered song in the history of rock n roll. I'm sure there are a few good versions of it floating around. But I'm also sure that none of them even come close to the original. Seriously, it's hard to improve upon the Beatles. But that hasn't stopped several bands from trying.

Maybe some people like techno-dance-remix versions of songs. I'm sure there's a place in this big world for it. But in my world, I'll take the original version any day.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Javelin Tiger said…

    People remake a song way too many times, but think about the 50's back then when a song came out it wasn't uncommon for 2 or 3 artists to all do their own versions of it and put them out at the same time. I know this is a different era in music, but it still happens on occasion. I would agree with you, just use discretion if you're going to release a song someone has already done.

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger Chad B. said…

    I have ranted on this many a times...
    I agree we need some "cover "laws
    -no covering the Police or the Stones
    -Diddy (or what ever he calls himslef these days should not be allowed to cover anything from the 70s or 80s

     

Post a Comment

<< Home