Mindfill

A landfill is a dumping ground for random objects and things. I figure that this blog is going to serve as a dumping ground for my random thoughts - therefore, it's a mindfill.

Monday, December 11, 2006

O, Christmas Tree...

I guess this serves as a follow-up to my last post. Anyway, I finally got my new Christmas tree out of the box. As a matter of fact, I even put it up and plugged it in. All I can say is I'm never going back to a non-prelit tree again! So it's up, deocrated, and everything. That's the problem. This is the first year that I've had an apartment that set up for a full size tree. Up until now, I've always had the little 4 foot junior trees. So I had ornaments for a 4 foot tree - not a 7 foot one. Needless to say, it looks a little sparse - kinda like the Charlie Brown tree on growth hormones! I'm trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and get some more ornaments or not. If anyone is willing to donate, I'll gladly accept.

Of course, I know you're all wondering why, after the overwhelming positivity of my last post, I decided to put up my tree at this time. Well, there were a couple of reasons. To answer the most basic question - no, I don't consider myself to be in the Christmas spirit yet. That actually had very little to do with it. No, the reasons I decided to open the box and put up the tree were, I hate to say, much more practical.

First, whenever I saw the box sitting on my office floor unopened, I was reminded of exactly how much money I spent for the unopened box sitting on my office floor. Of course, I was also reminded of the person who persuaded me to buy it and helped pick it out which is why it was still sitting in an unopened box on my office floor. Anyway, as I realized the financial obligation that already went into it, I figured that it only made sense to get it out of the box and actually get my money's worth out of it. My dad would be so proud!

Secondly, I played Santa at a kids' playgroup Christmas party yesterday. Yep, I donned the warm, itchy, red suit and everything. In spite of the fact that the fake beard was extremely warm and pinched the side of my head and in spite of the fact that one little kid attempted to yank off said beard, which due to the fact that it was itchy and pinching the side of my head didn't seem like too bad of an idea to me, I had fun doing it. However, afterward I realized that it was awfully hypocritical for Santa to have his Christmas tree sitting in an unopened box on his office floor. So I guess you could say I put it up to avoid the feeling of hypocrisy.

See, I told you my reasons weren't exactly warm fuzzy ones. But still, I think the fact that I actually do have a Christmas tree up and lit shows great progress on my road towards the Christmas spirit. At this rate, you never know, I might actually do a little Christmas shopping too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home